Ernst Herzfeld Award for Master Theses in Islamic Art History and Archaeology
Call for Applications
Deadline March 1, 2020
The Ernst Herzfeld-Gesellschaft für Islamische Kunst und Archäologie | Ernst Herzfeld
Society for Studies in Islamic Art and Archaeology is pleased to introduce the Ernst Herzfeld Award for Master Theses in Islamic Art History and Archaeology. The aim of the award is to encourage and support young scholars in Europe who are working on visual and material culture of Islamic countries in the fields of Art History, Archeology, and Historical Building Research. The Ernst Herzfeld Award highlights the diversity and innovation of current research in these growing fields. The successful candidate is honored at the annual colloquium of the Ernst Herzfeld Society, offered a full travel grant to present her/his master thesis at the colloquium, and is granted publication of the presented paper in the series of the Society, Beiträge zur Islamischen Kunst und Archäologie (BIKA).
- Outstanding master thesis (MA, Master, M.phil., and similar) on a topic situated within the research fields of History of Islamic Art and Architecture, Islamic Archeology, or Historical Building Research on Islamic Architecture.
- The thesis must have been written and supervised at a European university within the last two years (since January 1, 2018, date of official review/evaluation or acceptance).
- Accepted languages of the thesis are: German, English, French, Italian, and Spanish.
- Applicants are proposed by the supervisor of the MA thesis.
- Applications include 1) the complete MA thesis as it was submitted, as a PDF document; 2) a summary in English (3 pages); 3) a letter of recommendation in English by the proposing supervisor; and 4) the original official review/evaluation of the thesis for/by the university, at which it was submitted.
- The review procedure is jointly organized by the award and steering committees and the advisory board of the Ernst Herzfeld Society.
- Proposing supervisors are excluded from the review procedure and the peer-review.
- Applications fulfilling the criteria of eligibility will go through a double blind peer-review by the joint committees and by external reviewers.