Deadline October 31, 2021
The Ernst Herzfeld-Gesellschaft für Islamische Kunst und Archäologie | Ernst Herzfeld Society for Studies in Islamic Art and Archaeology is pleased to announce the second edition of the Ernst Herzfeld Award for Master Theses in Islamic Art History and Archaeology. The aim of the award is to encourage and support young scholars in Europe who are working on visual and material culture of Islamic countries in the fields of Art History, Archaeology, and Building Archaeology (Bauforschung). The Ernst Herzfeld Award highlights the diversity and innovation of current research in these growing fields. The successful candidate is honored at the annual colloquium of the Ernst Herzfeld Society, offered a full travel grant to present their master thesis at the colloquium, and is granted publication of the presented paper in the series of the Society, Beiträge zur Islamischen Kunst und Archäologie(BIKA).
- Outstanding master thesis (MA, Master, M.phil., and similar) on a topic situated within the research fields of History of Islamic Art and Architecture, Islamic Archaeology, or Building Archaeology (Bauforschung) on Islamic Architecture.
- The thesis must have been written an supervised at a European university. For this call, theses are eligible that were fully reviewed and marked in the timeframe between January 1, 2019 and October 31, 2021.
- Accepted languages of the thesis are: German, English, French, Italian, and Spanish.
- Applicants are proposed by the supervisor of the MA thesis.
- Applications include 1) the complete MA thesis as a PDF document and as it was submitted,; 2) a summary in English (3 pages); 3) a letter of recommendation in English by the proposing supervisor; and 4) the original official review/evaluation of the thesis for/by the university, at which it was submitted.
- The review procedure is jointly organized by the award and steering committees and the advisory board of the Ernst Herzfeld Society.
- Proposing supervisors are excluded from the review procedure and the peer-review.
- Applications fulfilling the criteria of eligibility will go through a double blind peer-review by the joint committees and by external reviewers.
Applicants will be notified about the outcome of the evaluation process by February 28, 2022.